[Asterisk-Users] Clock Sync

Don Pobanz dpobanz at hastingsutilities.com
Wed Jun 4 05:56:33 MST 2003

On Wednesday, June 04, 2003 1:25 AM, Jeremy McNamara
[SMTP:jj at indie.org] wrote:
> There is a little discussion going on comp.dcom.voice-over-ip and I
> could not answer these two questions... The author has sorta
> clarified his two questions, but they still mean little to me.
>
>> 6) A redundant configuration that can synchronize on, and share one,
>> two,
>> and more network clocking signals.  Plus synchronize on a
>> independent
>> stratum 3 or greater clock source.

Asterisk can share 1,2,3 or 4 network clocking via incoming T1s.
However it can not time to an external  stratum 3 or greater clock
source.

>> 8) A redundant configuration that can synchronize on, and share one,
>> two,
>>  and more network clocking signals.
>
>> For Question 6, and 8, I was wanting to know how Asterisk handles
>> the
>> passthrough of network (T1) clock synchronization from one T1
>> interface to another.  This would allow an Asterisk systems to feed
>> clock to downstream systems.  Avoiding  frame slips across the
>> voice

yes * can do pass through timing. Just select 1 of the T1s to be the
clock source and all others will use this same timing.

>> network, where Asterisk is the front end to it all (connected to it
>> PSTN), and connecting to other systems via T1.  I am aiming to find
>> that kind a mixed network answer.
>

> Anyone know what this guy is talking about?

When I was looking at timing before this is the conclusion that I have
come to.

The T400P card has an internal clock that all four T1s of that card
will be timed off of. This internal clock can be free running (not
referenced to any other clock) or reference to another clock (the clock
on the other end of a T1 line). This is set up in Zaptel.conf

Important points.
  1. All T1s of a T400P run off of the same internal clock.
  2. The internal clock can be free running - not reference to any
other clock.
  3. The only other reference the clock can use is timing from an
incoming T1. If the primary clocking T1 is down then it can be set to
use a secondary T1 to derive timing (or 3rd or 4th)
  4. There is no way to time off of an external clock be it stratum 3
or 2 or whatever (unless it is part of a T1 thereby burning up a T1
port in the T400P card).
  5. If the system has 2 T400P cards the clocks will not be timed to
each other (unless each has an incoming T1 with the same timing.)

> Jeremy McNamara

Don Pobanz