[Asterisk-Users] Voice Modem + Soundcard Driver

Anthony Wood woody+asterisk at switchonline.com.au
Tue Jun 3 16:09:30 MST 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 11:09:28AM +0300, Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an USB voice modem which does not need to be connected to the
> soundcard in order to build an answering machine.
> It appear in the system as another sound card.
> I have tested a free Answering machine application and it works great.
> The modem is very cheap (paid around 25 USD for it) and has linux drivers,
> including the source files:
> http://www.smlink.com/products/SmartUSB56.htm for description
> and
> http://www.smlink.com/download/Linux/slmdm-2.7.14.tar.gz
> for the linux driver, including source files.
>
> Can this be used as a FXO interface for Asterisk?

The key is can the modem do full-duplex voice (sound in both directions
at the same time).  An answering machine is half-duplex:
first, the sound is sent from the machine to the caller,
then, the sound is sent from the caller to the machine.

Also, I don't think Asterisk has drivers for this sort of thing,
as most of the hardware is half-duplex.

But I am only a newbie.

cheers,
Woody