[Asterisk-Users] Voice Modem + Soundcard Driver

Mathew Frank mathewfrank at qushi.com
Tue Jun 3 00:47:54 MST 2003

> The problem with using Voice Modems is that they fall into two categories:
>
> 1) Hardware Modems which only have half-duplex transmission of voice
> 2) Soft/Win/Lin modems which are proprietry and don't have asterisk
drivers

or 3 - full duplex "real" voice modems such as produced by Banksia in Sydney
which have been available for years for IVR systems for which only a
single-duplex channel is available in Asterisk.

> 2 Phone lines
> 2 Banksia Wave SP 336 Modems - these have 3.5mm female jacks for
speaker/microphone
> 1 Full Duplex Soundcard
> 4 3.5mm mono male-male audio cables
> 2 3.5mm stereo male -> 3.5mm female left + 3.5mm female right adapters
> 1 Linux Box with 2 serial ports and spare PCI slot for Full Duplex sound
card.
> Asterisk
> Programmer

I had concidered such an approach, till I remembered the iNTRA modems
mentioned above.   There is actually a question re legality of wiring the
sound card to the modem - or even audio-coupling to do the same according to
the wording of the rules AFAIK.   Anyway I did concider your suggestion and
when I posted it a year ago got in an argument with a fellow poster who
missed my point entirely till the point was lost.

Mathew