[Asterisk-Users] nagios plugin to check asterisk

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Mon Jun 2 02:32:52 MST 2003

> what's the best (read most suitable) network monitoring
> tool that's suitable for asterisk (things like
> remote process check, remote stats and remote restart) ?

We use nagios. I happen to like nagios, since you can make all sorts of
plugins yourself. it's just perl scripts (or basic, pascal, C, whatever
programs) being executed at intervals. If something comes up (server crashes
etc) you can fire off event handlers to restart stuff, you can tell asterisk
to call someone and yell at them etc etc etc.

> That's because we're going to deploy some asterisk servers
> and want to monitor them from remote, including the
> poss. to restart it from the same tool if something
> is wrong (like Jeremy suggests).

I'd split the two into one reporting / surveillence system and one manager
(for manually restarting asterisk or similar). Or what do you think?

> I'm currently using zabbix (good but little plugin support).

See above for asterisk and plugins. Asterisk is generally a framework as
compared to what I can see about zabbix. The bad thing about asterisk, is
that changing the system's outfit isn't done in 10 minutes ...

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
ProntoTV AS - http://www.pronto.tv/