[Asterisk-Users] VoiceMail2 Wish List

Siggi Langauf langausd at swt.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jul 30 11:31:38 MST 2003

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Benjamin Miller wrote:

> I have not had time to complete an "Unified Messaging" component to
> voicemail, but I would see this as an admiral goal.  Most modern
> voicemail systems have some kind of way to delete or mark the voicemail
> as read when the message is deleted or read from either telephone or
> e-mail.
> The biggest hurdle I have come across for this is how does the user
> enter their e-mail password into a place where asterisk can use it to
> log into a users mail box an actually use it as the sole repository for
> mail messages.

There's a simple alternative: just setup a master account on the email
server that is allowed to access all users' mails and let * use that.
Cyrus supports this well. Most "real" IMAP servers should be able to do
that...

> I see the tasks that need to be completed are:
> A) abstract file storage and manipulation in voicemail2 to allow an
> "imap" or other type (sql?) of storage plug-in rather than dependency on
> a specific file system.

Yes, that would be great!

> B) an interface to allow the end user to _securly_ enter the username
> and password that will be used by asterisk to access the file store.  It
> needs to be secure so that people who have integrated passwords like
> Exchange/AD aren't passing the keys to the kingdom over plain text.

An admin account for * would solve that...

Cheers,
	Siggi