[Asterisk-Users] Australian Options

Anthony Wood woody+asterisk at switchonline.com.au
Tue Jul 29 23:38:27 MST 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:34:48PM +1000, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> > Why don't you just plug the e100p into the onramp10-30 why do you need a
> > channel bank?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Mark McKibbin
>
> How do you connect your extensions then? If you use the single T/E 1 port
> for your onramp, you end up with nil extensions, using a channel bank you
> can use the single T/E1 port for both 10 channels from the telco plus 14/20
> channels for extensions...
>
> BUT, you need an australian approved channel bank.

I don't think you do.  You need an Australian approved TE410, but anything
past that doesn't interact directly with the telco's network, so doesn't need approval.
So a 'yank bank' would be legal.

Also, a TDM400 would be legal, because you aren't plugging that into the telco's
network.

> Or am I just being stupid, and there is something obvious I am missing for
> the use of asterisk in Australia *legally* ??

You need something approved to plug into the telco network.  At the moment,
I think that means OpenLine4 or NetJet ISDN BRI.  Things which
don't plug into the telco don't need approval (e.g. FXS cards, IP Phones).

> PS, for those interested, there is an option of the australian made
> openswitch cards, but since they are unsupported for use with asterisk, I
> don't want to go out and purchase them/sell them to a client only to find
> that it doesn't quite work properly in some situations...

Voicetronix has been known to let you trial them for a month or two
(with a credit card slip) to see how they work out.

I think they should be fine (no echo) if you are using hardware for everything,
like it sounds you want to do.

But the openswitch 12 isn't approved yet either AFAIK.

cheers,
Woody

> PPS, anyone who is successfully using the openswitch cards with asterisk, I
> would appreciate feedback on them

Not yet.  The developer of the asterisk driver says the OpenSwitch 12 works and has
heard reports of the openline 4 working.

> Regards,
> Adam

Woody