[Asterisk-Users] Ordering digital trunks?

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Sun Jul 27 11:29:05 MST 2003

OK, this is probably a dumb question for a lot of you, but I have no
experience with digital lines outside of a tiny bit of ISDN, so I'll
just bite the bullet and ask some newbie questions. I am attempting to
plan an asterisk installation with about 20 SIP phones and the following
incoming lines:

1) At least 6 (as many as 10) lines for voice to the SIP phones
2) 2 incoming/outgoing fax
3) 4-10 lines for an IVR application

I feel like a T1 with 24 channels should suffice, but what exactly do I
order and what to I have to have in my asterisk unit to interface? Does
the line they terminate just plug into a T100P or do I need some extra
hardware? What services do I need to be sure I order on the T1? Is there
a way using the T100P to dynamically allocate unused voice channels for
data?

Finally, how do I get the best fax performance for two analog fax
machines out of this setup? Will an ATA-186 serve, or will I get much
better performance using a TDM400P with zaptel bridging?

Thanks,
John