[Asterisk-Users] Integrating cell phone into Asterisk Extension..

John Morris jman_betelnut at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 01:16:22 MST 2003

> Granted it takes some pre-thought, but why
> not just use the *72/*73 codes to forward
> when you are out of the office?

This worked out pretty well, I got to meet lots of the
other officemembers' family and friends!  Ha ha!

Seriously, I think Asterisk can do better, just need
to figure out where to do it *from*.  Seems like a
'forward-timeout' app could be pretty useful.  Dial a
number, wait for a '#' on channels where pickup isn't
detected, read out the callerID, put the caller
through on another '#' or (for example) through to
voicemail on '*', hangup or timeout.

Looks like AGI won't quite do the trick.  I've been
looking over Cam's HOWTO:

  http://home.cogeco.ca/~camstuff/agi.html

AGI seems to be missing a way to dial out ("Answer"
won't do it since you can't specify a channel, and
even we could, there's no convenient way of sending
DTMF), and once that were done, I'm unclear how you'd
pipe the two channels together (sorry for the UNIX
shell terminology!).

It's looking at this point like the best bet is to
modify the Dial application, or write a new one.  Does
that sound reasonable to anyone?  As in, am I barking
up the right tree yet?  I'd hate to spend a couple of
days on a problem that someone else could write in two
lines of extensions.conf syntax on a 2"x4" before
whopping me in the face with it.

[trycell]
; Add a new option 'p' to indicate a dumb POTS line
; that can't do CallerID or answer detection
; ${POTSLINES} could be FXO devices, eg. Zap/g1
exten => s,1,Dial(${POTSLINES}/${MYCELL},20,Trp)
exten => s,2,Voicemail,${MYEXTEN}

BTW, what ARE the semantics of this?:

; ${TDM400P} are the ports on an FXS card, maybe
; TDM400P => Zap/3&Zap/4
exten => s,1,Dial(${TDM400P}&${POTSLINES}/${MYCELL})

     John