[Asterisk-Users] INFO: How the T410P sets the number of channels per span

Alex Lopez alex at opsys.com
Thu Jul 24 21:46:54 MST 2003

After speaking with Martin @ Digium, I have the following answers.

The driver Wct4xxp determines the number of channels by the signaling type set in the /etc/zaptel.conf file.

For example if all the spans used b8zs,esf your spans would look like this:

Span 1	Zap/1 - Zap/24
Span 2	Zap/25 - Zap/48
Span 3	Zap/49 - Zap/72
Span 4	Zap/73 - Zap/96

However if you have an E1 intermixed say on span 2 you channels would be:

Span 1	Zap/1 - Zap/24
Span 2	Zap/25 - Zap/54		This is because the signaling s\is set to E1
Span 3	Zap/55 - Zap/78
Span 4	Zap/79 - Zap/102

So it is the driver that sets up the devices in the /dev/Zap directory, This could be a gotcha for newbies as the channels are all contiguous and the span separations are on numbers other than the standard 24 or 30.

Of Course this is just an example and in a real life situation you would probable start with an E1 or end with an E1 instead of putting it smack dab in the middle.

I hope the this helps.....

Message: 2