[Asterisk-Users] the 'pound' and '#' are the same? (OT Rambling)

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Wed Jul 23 22:21:54 MST 2003

In the US, and probably some other English speaking countries, # is the
"pound" key on telephones. In the UK it's called the "hash" key. The
technical name for the punctuation mark is "octothorpe".

A lot of punctuation has strange technical names that you don't hear
every day (or maybe you do if you are a typeset designer):

^  - chevron (Look at a Chevron gas station's logo next time you see
one. It's two stacked chevrons.)

/ - virgule, solidus

` - grave

= - quadrathorpe

# - octothorpe

* - asterisk (our favorite)

& - ampersand

I haven't ever found any really interesting technical terms for @, %, or
?. I'd be interested in hearing some..

For you programmer types out there, take a look at this for some
punctuation pronouncing fun:

http://www.latenighthacking.com/projects/2002/spokenPunctuation/

Sorry for the ramble,
John