[Asterisk-Users] shared line-appearance

Steve Creel screel at turbs.com
Wed Jul 23 20:35:39 MST 2003

shared line-appearance: "a visual indication on one phone that another
phone is in use, such as a lighted button."

I understand that SIP does not support a shared line appearance.

I understand that MGCP as a protocol does support shared line appearances
in its Business Phone Package (rfc3149), but that chan_mgcp does not
support the Business package, and thus does not support shared line
appearances.

I understand that if I want it bad enough, I need to extend chan_mgcp to
support it.

The phone systems I am replacing all offer this feature, and users are
used to it  (Not to mention that any feature you take away instantly
becomes their most valued feature that they _need_ to do their job).

My question:  How are others working without this?  We have many instances
where an assistant is to answer incoming calls and put them on hold until
the supervisor has an opportunity to take the call (to keep the supervisor
from putting their current call on hold to answer the second call and put
it on hold).  I can only assume that this situation comes up for other
people as well.

I considered using queues, but then the supervisor is not aware of the
number of calls waiting for them.

I think I have to look at mgcp, but was curious as to what others are
doing.

Many thanks,

Steve

Steve Creel                                screel at turbs.com