[Asterisk-Users] the 'pound' and '#' are the same?

Ryan Tucker rtucker at netacc.net
Wed Jul 23 20:33:31 MST 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:15:53 -0700, johncn <info at itwav.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am translating the voice files of voicemail now.  I don't know if the
> POUND and # are the same key in the telephone's keypad.

They are the same key.  I'm not sure how the # came to be associated with
the word "pound", but in American English at least, they're the same key.

The technical term for the # key (in the telephone world, at least) is an
"octothorpe".  This comes from the fact that there's eight (octo) pointy
things (thorpe).

The two frequencies (usually) mixed for the # are 941 and 1477Hz.

> If they are same, how could we understand the following message:
>
> %vm-msginstruct.gsm%To hear the next message press 6, to repeat this
> message press 5, to hear the previous message press 4, to delete or
> undelete this message press seven, to quite voicemail press pound.
> During message playback, you may press * to rewind, and # to fast
> forward.

The "quite" in the first # example should be "quit"; the correct concept
would probably be exit, log out of, etc.

The # in the second example is only used if a message is playing.

I may not be fully comprehending what you're asking... if this doesn't
answer your questions, perhaps rephrase it and I'll try to help.  -rt

--
Ryan Tucker <rtucker at netacc.net>