[Asterisk-Users] newbie - simple dialout server

Ferenc Kubinszky ferenc.kubinszky at wit.mht.bme.hu
Wed Jul 23 08:11:00 MST 2003

Hello,

I am new to Asterisk, so RTFM answers welcome too (just include the FM's
link :).

I'd like to build a simple dialout server based on Asterisk.
I installed 0.4.0 from package (a Debian SID machine, "server").
The client is gnophone (a Debian SID machine too, "client").
My modem is a GVC 56k voice modem connected to the server's serial port.

I modified modem.conf by enabling "type=aopen", because modem can't be
autodetected. I've also added "device => /dev/ttyS2".
The modem seems to be initialised.
I am not sure what to do with "stripmsd=1"...

extension.conf:
I've added "exten => 5957,Dial,Zap/1" to "[local]".

iax.conf:
I've added the following block:
[kubi]
type=user
context=local
secret=mysecret

I'd like to dial a phone number (5957, my other phone) from gnophone.
gnophone's settings:

Use asterisk
server 192.168.2.254 port 5036
context local
username kubi
password mysecret

When I try to dial a number with gnophone the server logs the following
line:

Jul 23 16:11:19 NOTICE[65541]: File chan_iax.c, Line 3844 (socket_read):
Rejected connect attempt from 192.168.2.18, request '5957 at local' does not
exist

And answers "no such context/extension" (sniffed with ethereal) to the
client.

OK, I am a newbie (3 hours old) to Asterisk...
What did I miss, what to read, where to start ?
Documentation coming in asterisk-doc package isn't too helpful :(

Best regards,
Kubi