[Asterisk-Users] interfacing asterisk with a legacy PBX

Bradley Greep bradley.greep at eit.ca
Tue Jul 22 08:03:12 MST 2003

[SMTP:david at melita.net] wrote:
> hi ..
>
> i require to interface asterisk to a 60 line analog PBX in a hotel.
> I was thinking of giving Asterisk a couple of PBX lines interfaced
> through cards, and then place outgoing calls through SIP/H323 and
> a DSL connection.
> analog extension lines <--> analog pbx <-->asterisk <--> SIP -->
> termination
> I do not need incoming calls to the lines.
> My question is this :
> if I take 2 of the existing analog extension lines can I interface
> these
> through Wildcard FXO cards on the Asterisk? Is the signalling
> the same?

You could make it a hunt group.
If you use a loopstart trunk. (A line that would normally come from an incumbant telco. instead of an Extension)
Put an FXS card in instead of an FXO.
when you dial the access code ie 9 You will get dialtone from the FXS
You then dial the Number. and you get processed through * , through sip, then to your endpoint.
Again you want to use an FXS card instead of an FXO.
It makes it alot easier to access. if you wanted to make your extensions a longer distance you would then want to use an FXO.
Bradley Greep