[Asterisk-Users] anyone with X100P & Callerid working outside US ?

Armand A. Verstappen armand at nl.envida.net
Mon Jul 21 17:54:34 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 19:25, Martin Pycko wrote:
> I'm just curious if anyone has the X100P & Callerid receiving working
> outside US.

It does not work in the Netherlands. The Netherlands does not use FSK
signalling, but DTMF signalling:

1) polarity reversal
2) DTMF: <D><Number><C>
3) ring signal

where <D> and <C> are the DTMF tones 'D' and 'C' respectively,
signalling start and end of DTMF Caller-ID transfer.

Exact specification (including length of tones and pauses) is in this
document:
http://www.kpn.com/common/downloads/01_Part2-PSTN_V32.pdf

paragraph 6.2.3.

At least Sweden and Denmark use very similar CLIP protocols, the
difference being mainly in the start and end tones used.

The different protocol also bites on the other end, as asterisk will
send callerid information to a phone connected to a TDM40B for example
using the FSK protocol. Dutch phones don't understand FSK, and hence
don't pick up on the caller id.

I'm very interested in solving this problem, as it makes asterisk only
usable in the Netherlands using ISDN BRI or PRI on the PSTN side, and
imported phones on the (analog) internal side. I just don't have any
idea where in the source, and how...

One possible solution for the 'inside' problem:
There's one company in the Netherlands offering telefony over cable
infrastructure, they use FSK signalling for Caller-ID presentation. I'll
get my hands on a phone suited for their network soon, wich will allow
me to verify if they work with asterisk.

--
Envida                     http://www.envida.net/
Armand A. Verstappen       Graadt van Roggenweg 328