[Asterisk-Users] Music on hold & Read error on sound device

Stuart Hirst shirst at easynet.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 17:16:50 MST 2003

I am having a problem getting music on hold working one of my servers. I
have had this working on a PII 400 just fine but decided to upgrade my
Asterisk server to a PIV 1.5ghz.

I have installed mpg123 which seems to be working fine but when I start
*, I get the following error message at the CLI prompt when I start *:

WARNING[81931]: File chan_oss.c, Line 232 (sound_thread): Read error on
sound device: Resource temporarily unavailable

I have checked that the sound card works by loading X11 and running
sound tests which is fine. I have used "lsof /dev/dsp" to see if another
application or server is controlling the sound device and without *
running, nothing is reported. With * running lsof reports that * has the
device. Voicemail works fine.

When I put a call on hold the CLI shows moh starting but nothing is
played. No errors are reported whilst starting moh.

I have been trying lots of different things for hours now without
success.

Anyone got any pointers ?

Rgds,

Stuart