[Asterisk-Users] Analog phone not ringing

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Sat Jul 19 13:58:35 MST 2003

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Darren Poulson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got my developers kit from telappliant and got a machine up and running
> to become the house phone system. Most things are working now, such as
> incoming calls, call transfer, call parking, voicemail, etc.
>
> The one thing I can't do is make my analog phone ring! I can see the call
> coming in on the asterisk console and can then pick up the analog phone, but
> no ringing!
>
> Incoming calls come in on the X100P (channel 1), the analog phone is on the
> only other channel from a TDM400P
>
> The one thing that I think it could be is the connector to convert from RJ45
> to BT phone socket. I'm using a mod tap that I had lying around. Not sure
> what the wiring is like inside it.

In the UK, phones use a three-wire connection with a separate line for
the ringer.  This is supposed to stop phone bells tinkling when
another phone is dialled.

Anyway - you need the RJ11 to BT adapter that includes the "ringing
capacitor".  Maplin sells the adapters both with and without the cap.

Steve