[Asterisk-Users] Speex support

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Fri Jul 18 23:04:01 MST 2003

 > "John" == John Todd <jtodd at loligo.com> writes:
 > What is the state of speex support in asterisk? I saw the codec seems
 > to be there.
 John> Install the Speex library support, and re-compile Asterisk.
 John> There's probably a pre-compiled version of Speex for your system;
 John> look around in whatever package manager you use for your Linux
 John> distro.

 >> I do have the libraries installed.
 >>
 > Can speex be used on IAX2 links? Is there much work still to be done?

 John> Yes, it can be used.  No work required to get functionality.

 >> Really? Have you tried it? I have. It doesn't work -- and a quick
 >> look at chan_iax2.c shows that there is a good reason for this --
 >> get_samples() doesn't know how to calculate the number of samples
 >> for an incoming speex format frame. This results in chopped sound
 >> and hundreds of warnings: [snip]
 >>
 >> --J.  PS: bad advice is worse than no advice...

 John> I take it that comment was directed at me.

 John> Yes, really, Speex does work, and yes, I did try it without any
 John> of the modifications you describe above.  Feel free to ask for
 John> help if it doesn't work, but don't assume that others haven't
 John> made it work or that I'm giving you intentionally bad advice -
 John> it's insulting.

I apologize, then -- I must have missed something, because after looking
into it it seemed that there is no way it can work. I thought you just
wrote without reading my posting carefully.

sorry,
--J.
PS: I still think the patch I attached should be applied (or one that is
more correct in calculating the number of samples), it made it work for me.