[Asterisk-Users] OT: list format vs newsgroup format

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Fri Jul 18 12:17:06 MST 2003

>>>>> "Steven" == Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> writes:
 Steven> On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 09:02, Chris Earle (CBL) wrote:
 >> Arrrrgh
 >>
 >> I hate trying to sift through all these messages and keep track of
 >> the various threads going on .........
 >>
 >> Who else on here prefers the newsgroup/threaded approach?  If you
 >> haven't already, check out news.gmane.org for mailing lists turned
 >> into newsgroups readable by news readers.......

 Steven> What you need is to get a decent mail reader. Those of us that
 Steven> complain regularly about people changing subjects in the middle
 Steven> of a thread already know the benefits of threaded email
 Steven> reading. Why bother with a newsgroup because you choose to stay
 Steven> on windows and use outbreak express

 >> only problem being that this list requires list membership before
 >> posting............<Shrug>

 Steven> And this is a good thing. Otherwise spammers only need the list
 Steven> address to spam us all, and you get this also on
 Steven> newsgroups. Right now the only risk is the fact that the email
 Steven> addresses we use here are archived publicly in an easy to
 Steven> harvest method. I think that is the most risk I wish to
 Steven> undertake.

It's a real pity that the news.gmane.org interface is one-way
only. GMANE makes my life a lot easier, I would never be able to
subscribe to all those lists. asterisk-users is one of the very few
lists that I am unable to properly access through GMANE.

newsgroups are realy better than mailing lists, people. It's not a
question of your mail reader (MUA), but of instantly available archives
(press a key and access the entire history of a thread, even if you have
just subscribed), bandwidth (I can't always afford to download 60
messages per day from asterisk-users when I'm on a GPRS link), and
access (you get *instant* access to hundreds of mailing lists).

As to spam, GMANE has an extremely neat spam-reporting and filtering
solution, so I actually see almost on spam there. Please notice that in
order to post to GMANE you have to prove you are not a spambot, so spam
can come in from the mailing lists only. When people report it (single
keypress in Gnus), it gets crossposted to gmane.spam.detected, so you
can easily kill it based on the Xref: header.

So, please don't judge GMANE by USENET standards, it's an entirely
different thing. And it's a good thing.

--J.