[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960

Matthew Hardeman mhast at papersoft.com
Thu Jul 17 15:21:55 MST 2003

Here's a hint.

Upgrade back to 5.1.  It still has bugs, but they're no worse than 5.0.

Put it in the same subnet as the asterisk server, and make sure that the
eth0 interface (the FIRST interface in the box) is on that subnet.
Generally, you will want this to be your internal address space.
192.168.0.x.  If you asterisk server needs an external IP on the same
Ethernet, just do an alias as eth0:1 or something along those lines.
Make the primary hostname of the server (as reflected by the hostname
command) match up in /etc/hosts as the internal IP address.

Asterisk apparently picks up the first IP address on the system to use
as its source IP address for all things SIP.  If you have a Cisco phone
communicate with Asterisk on another subnet known to the system (via an
IP alias on the same Ethernet card), I've found that the Cisco 7960 will
crash and burn.  I suspect that if Asterisk were modified to source the
communications back over the interface it received them, the crash would
no longer happen.

Check your configuration files. I've had these phones crash on me before
if your networking isn't very friendly to them, but never before just
during the booting sequence.  Trust me; you can get this phone to work.
It's just a matter of patience and experimenting, and lots of free time
wasted on Ethereal. :-)

As an aside, I've actually been actively working with a Cisco developer
(even today) to generate more debug information for them on the network
caused crash and reboot issue, and they think they've about got it
licked.  I believe they will be sending me a firmware image to test soon
that will have at least that bug, and probably more, fixed.

Matt Hardeman
PaperSoft