[Asterisk-Users] Can I interoperate with public PSTN gateways ?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Jul 17 13:29:41 MST 2003

>Apologies if this is an FAQ, I wasn't able to find an answer googling:
>
>Will any of the public PSTN/VoIP gateway services (Vonage, Packet8 etc)
>interoperate with * ?
>
>I'd like to deploy a box which provides PBX service for analog handsets,
>and handles inbound/outbound calls via both analog PSTN lines, and,
>say Packet8 VoIP service. I understand that I can do this by connecting
>the analog side of an ATA to an analog card in a machine running *,
>but I'd prefer to terminate the VoIP traffic directly---I figure
>that eventually
>these services will allow multiple concurrent calls, and at that time I'd
>need multiple ATA type boxen, which seems rather silly.
>
>Hops that made sense, and thanks.

Vonage doesn't work, and has explicitly said that they will not work
with Asterisk and SIP.  You must buy their ATA-186 and use it like an
analog phone line.  This is frighteningly short-sighted, or an
inability/unwillingness to develop alternate product and price
strategies for different call patterns.

Packet8, in my conversations with their sales/support line, has said
they don't give out the SIP data to customers.  However, I seem to
recall from prior list postings that several people are using their
service so there must be a backdoor or method to squeeze that info
out of them.

iconnecthere.com (DeltaThree) works fine, and will give you the
username/password for SIP use.  They will not allow multiple calls at
once on the same account, though.

There are a growing number of IAX and SIP service providers.  Dig
around on the archives a bit to find some.

JT