[Asterisk-Users] grandstream sip phone (NTP)

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Jul 17 07:05:14 MST 2003

I have solved the time server problem with the Grandstream by having my
* box's NTP service mirror a public NTP server.  I had to do this
because my phones are all on the 192.168 subnet, which is non-routable.
For example, assuming that the NTP service is configured and running on
your * box, create an NTP mirror which allows access from machines on
192.168.10.X by adding the following line to the ntp.conf file:

restrict 192.168.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap

The IP range and netmask arguments are obvious.  The 3 option flags tell
the ntp daemon that none of the machines that might communicate over
this subnet are to be trusted as time servers, none of them are to be
allowed to update the ntp daemon running on the asterisk server, and
none of them will be able to use the trap service for logging purposes.

Finally, I also like to set up a different (from the one used by the
phones for SIP and RTP) IP address for the NTP server (so the * box has
2 addresses on the 192.168 net). It goes without saying that the
asterisk box must also have a public IP address so that it can
synchronize itself with a remote time server. In my setup, I have one
net card for the public address, while the 2 192.168 addresses are on a
second card.

--
Stephen R. Besch, Ph.D.
SachsLab