[Asterisk-Users] Text to Speech - Someone needs to do this

Moshe Yudkowsky speech at pobox.com
Wed Jul 16 10:35:59 MST 2003

At 10:11 2003-07-16 -0700, Chris Albertson wrote:

<SNIP>
>if you want a synthetic voice to sound
>natural you will have to tell the software the _intent_ of the words
>not just the words.  You would need a markup language for that

The W3C has a TTS markup language, SSML,
<http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/>. However, SSML is not a _semantic_
markup language. SSML gives directives about prosidy and pronunciation.

 > And don't put down festival.  Many (most?) of the comercial systems
>_are_ festival.

I am not putting down Festival. However, I don't believe that many or most
commercial systems are based on Festival.

I think we should take any further discussion off-list.

Regards,
  Moshe

--
  Moshe Yudkowsky