[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Cygwin?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Jul 16 09:42:44 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 11:47, jltaylor wrote:
> Thanks for your enthuastic response.
>
> There's this Linux project out there for 802.11 at:
> www.station-server.com
> They have figured out how to make this type of distribution package
> work.

And there is nothing stopping you from getting a knoppix CD started that
will do the same sort of thing.

> Don't get me wrong, Asterisk seems to have just about everything from
> a feature standpoint.  The open source concept is one that I support.
> We run FreeBSD for routers and I love it.
>
> You are absolutely correct about the need to learn about Linux
> distributions and installers.  Most people don't and some find it too
> difficult (I suppose that they are the ones who should stick to
> Windows?).

I tried my best to not include the windows comments in my post. It
wasn't a route I wanted to go in this argument. But since we are here
anyways, I'm concerned that if it becomes too easy to have a system
connected to the PSTN and the net that we will see people looking this
way for exploits. The difficulty here is that they don't have to exploit
asterisk to get in and set up new accounts and then use asterisk to
route them to the PSTN. The current level of knowledge required to get
started should help weed out the people who helped NIMDA and CODE_RED
along. We all know they exist no matter what OS they use.

> Hardware costs?  I guess these guys that have a hardware cost problem
> have never priced a Dialogic 240xx/T1 or the quad card. Used single T1
> Dialogic cards are $1100.
>
> *** The digium hardware offerings are the best price that I've seen
> for any solution. ***

And that is the very reason why my company and myself personally have
bought hardware from Digium. We currently have 4 machines with 320 cards
that seem to go for over $1500 used, and it is only 16 analog FXO ports.