[Asterisk-Users] Text to Speech - Someone needs to do this

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 23:04:24 MST 2003

People working on this have found that context influences the
pronounciation of words.  I think the root cause of this is
that the human vocal tract cannot re-shape itself for different
sounds instantly and must move from the previous sound to the next
sound, we hear the movement.  If it does instantly change then
we hear it as un-natural robot-like speach.  Your proposed system
would sound just like what it is, a sequence of words.
Good systems not only look at phonetic context but also
inflection like tone, volume and pitch range and speed.

Cursive hand writting is this way too.  Cursive fonts don't
look like real hand writting because each letter is always
the same

--- Matthew John Darnell <mdarnell at servpac.com> wrote:
> Why hasn't someone found 50 people who sound alike, put them in sound
> studios and record the 10,000 most commonly used words.  You would
> all
> differnent forms of the 1,000 most words, i.e. leading, trailing,
> question
> etc.
>
> You can synthesize the other 0.05% when you run into them.  With hard
> drives
> so big, processors so fast and EXT3 that can handle 30,000+ files in
> single directory that seems like the way to do it.
>
> You could sell it for BIG bucks.
>
> -Matt

=====
Chris Albertson