[Asterisk-Users] G729 licensing

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Mon Jul 14 16:44:39 MST 2003

>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Hardeman <mhast at papersoft.com> writes:
 Matthew> Missing something?  No...

 Matthew> So far as I'm aware there is no freely available G729 codec
 Matthew> available that will run under Linux...  Kind of funny that
 Matthew> there *is* one for Windows, isn't it?

Yes, puzzling. I guess one might go the way the other projects have
(like mplayer or xine video players) -- use the Windows DLLs under
Linux. This can be done with a bit of glue code.

 Matthew> As an aside, though, what kind of equipment are you using, and
 Matthew> what circumstances are you communicating in?  ALAW & ULAW make
 Matthew> great codecs for use on a LAN.  :)

I'm using gnomemeeting (sometimes also linphone, but gnomemeeting is
much better), asterisk with oh323 on one end, asterisk with X100P on the
other end, doing the bridging to PSTN there.

alaw and ulaw are all good and great, but the distance between the two
asterisks is 18 hops and 9 hours of time difference, so I'd really like
to save on the bandwidth.

GSM would actually be fine if it wasn't for the sync problems that I've
reported.

--J.