[Asterisk-Users] EZ-Install

Matthew Hardeman mhast at papersoft.com
Mon Jul 14 09:11:35 MST 2003

Maybe it's just me...

But I fail to see the reasoning behind branching to a whole new
distribution just to support an easy, out of the box Asterisk install.

Perhaps just the creation of an RPM package with a basic configuration
would be the ticket?

The one potential exception to this would be if you wrote a distribution
with advanced hardware detection and preconfiguration such that during
the install process, Digium hardware is detected and you can go ahead
and configure spans and channels, etc.  In that case, the distribution
might have some unique value.

Short of that, I cannot imagine a new distribution just to package
together a pre-configured Asterisk configuration.

Even if you wrote an installation process like that, couldn't it be just
as well implemented with a clever RPM-based installation and some nice
plain old userspace configuration tools?

Matt Hardeman
PaperSoft