[Asterisk-Users] (no subject)

Stefan Johnson sascjf at cablelynx.com
Mon Jul 14 07:58:20 MST 2003

I got asterisk set up so that it doesn't take over
the sound devices now.  Thanks to the list for that
:)

Now my problem is getting people from outside my
router to be able to connect / use asterisk to
leave me voice mail.  I'm using SIP and trying to
get a friend's Windows Messenger to work with it.
I used Windows Messenger and X-Lite to test the
settings from behind my router, (asterisk is
behind my router as well) and they work fine, but
when I added another extension for my friend, he
can't connect.  I tried adding a "nat" line to
the sip.conf file for his extension, but that
didn't help.  The handbook didn't have an example
of how a "nat" entry should look, so I just put
"nat" as the last line for his extension.  He has
DSL and claims his DSL modem acts as a NAT router
as well.  We have cable and use a NetGear rp114
which is a NAT router.  It has firewalling support
as well, but we don't use it (disabled.)  I opened
port 5060 so he could make his request, but he
gets a "service temporarily unavailable" error
when he tries to connect.  I know I read somewhere
that I may need to open some other ports, but can't
remember which ones and can't find the information
again.  I've searched the archives and re-read the
article on onlamp.com, but still can't seem to find
what I'm looking for.  Any suggestions?  Is this
a lost cause?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan Johnson