[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and VMWare

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Mon Jul 14 07:49:36 MST 2003

Dan,

Your problems are all the result of your computer and your software.
It's not going to work for you in your setup. Repeat: It's not going to
work for you in your setup. Repeat again for increased clarity: It's not
going to work for you in your setup. I really don't understand why you
keep asking the question because you keep getting the same answer from
every single person. For the $299 that VMWare costs, you can build a
barebones machine with a small HDD that is sufficient to run asterisk.
Even if you'd rather run it all on the same machine, IT IS THE ONLY WAY
YOU WILL GET ASTERISK TO RUN PROPERLY. VMware Workstation is NOT
DESIGNED to do this kind of job. As I said in a post before, VMWare GSX
Server which is designed to do this sort of thing (but still may be
insufficient for asterisk) is priced at $2500. If you bought a support
contract from VMWare, they'd tell you the same thing.

Software running inside of VMWare with a Win32 host is not going to give
you good performance when it needs to be interactive, and Asterisk needs
to be interactive a lot of the time. No matter how many performance
tweaks you make to the Win32 box, you're still going to have problems
with asterisk. With the amount of RAM you have, Windows WILL swap the
VM's main memory to disk after a while. This will cause you
insurmountable performance problems with asterisk or any service-type
application running in the VM. You can look at a SIP-Proxy only solution
like SEP that doesn't do transcoding or IVR and maybe get things working
IF you can figure out how to force windows to never swap VMWare to disk
(ie buy another 640MB of ram and force VMWare to run in the highest
priority even in the background)

Here are your options. Both one of these will give you a 100% working
solution to your problem:

1) Return VMWare if you have already purchased it for this purpose and
use the $299 to build a standalone computer suitable for the task. If
you don't want to build one, you can buy one already built:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MC1740-1

2) Purchase a VoIP or IVR application that runs and is supported under
Windows that suits your purpose. If you need all the functionality that
Asterisk provides, are stuck on Windows, and already have some cisco
equipment, I hear that they have a product called "CallManager" that
might do what you need :)

No amount of belief on your part is going to make your computer and
VMWare do this.

John