[Asterisk-Users] Line Override Device

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Jul 13 12:09:31 MST 2003

Please understand that most mailing lists don't like HTML messages, and
specifically when your chosen font size makes the text way to small to
be read. The font size may be fine for your screen, but in the big wide
world of the net you will find people who use bigger monitors and fonts
tuned specifically for normal font sizes to be just readable at the
normal sitting distance from their monitor. When your mailer adjusts the
size to smaller than normal, it becomes a problem.

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 13:16, Shawn L. Djernes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to solve a problem that I can foresee when I deploy
> Asterisk into a few SOHO situations soon.  In Nebraska and in my area
> of Western Pennsylvania we have violent thunderstorms in spring and
> summer and sometimes very heavy wet snow in Winter.  Both type of
> event will take out the power of a period of 30sec to 36-hours.  So no
> UPS system would be able to handle a system for over an hour.  So what
> I am wanting to build or buy is a device that when normal power is on
> and we have battery output on a FXS that the line dumb analog phone
> talks to asterisk, but when the UPS has shutdown and our phone system
> goes down, thus no battery signal on the line it switches that same
> dumb analog phone to the outside Analog trunk.  This was the users can
> make and receive any emergency calls while the power is out.

You can build a UPS for that, but the better option here is to attach a
phone to the phone side of the X100P that is always connected to the
POTS line so that even when the computer goes down you can send and
receive calls.

> I have the basic concept of how this thing should work but not enough
> knowledge of telephone electronics to build it.  I think this should
> be an essential part of any PBX that supports analog lines and would
> be willing to pay a reasonable price for it.
>
> Next sort of on the same topic.  Does anyone have a diagram or know of
> some where you can buy a single or dual port Cisco power inserter.  I
> want to put the Power Adapter for my 7960 over on the UPS so that the
> phone on my desk doesn't die right away when the power flickers or
> goes out.  My battery a APC Back UPS Pro 650 holds the Asterisk server
> (Athlon 850 w/ 384 mb ram, X100P, Netgear FA311 10/100, Kinkston 10mb
> ne2k-pci clone, S3 Savage clone video, IBM 15GB, IBM 60GB, IBM 80GB
> IDE drives and four fans) Westtel DSL modem, Netgear 10mb hub (outside
> interfaces), Intel Pro 8-port managed switch (inside interfaces) for
> 25-30 minutes and that is usually enough for the power company
> equipment to reset around here.

The specs are available on the net to show you how to wire POE (Power
over ethernet). In fact I did my own so I can use the 7960 before we
found a suitable wall wart. Basicaly all I did was punch down a keystone
with the ethernet data lines, then punched down the power lines so that
one side had power and the other didn't so I didn't chance blowing up my
switch that was made before they thought of doing POE. I used the power
supply from a CAC AB1 that had the ringer module broke on it. It
produces 1amp of 48volts and was more than adequate for the 7960. If I
had a lot of phones to power, I have a 6amp 48volt PSU from a Premisys
channel bank that I picked up at a hamfest for $10.

BTW, for the UPS, we have some powerware UPSs that have plugs for
external batteries. In our former server room we have one with 5 car
battery sized batteries attached to it. We feel we had about a 10 hour
run time.