[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk takes over

Stefan Johnson sascjf at cablelynx.com
Sat Jul 12 15:21:57 MST 2003

Hello List,

I recently found out about Asterisk from an article
on http://onlamp.com

I thought I'd install it and try it out for a
learning experience.  I set it up following the way
the article did it, then figured out how to make
X-Lite and Windows Messenger connect to it.  The only
problem I have with it is that it takes over the sound
devices so that other programs such as Gaim can't run.
Is there any way to disable this behaviour?  I'd
really like to be able to use it for more than just
a dedicated asterisk server.  I also run an irc server,
web server, ssh server, and client programs.  I'd
love to run this along with the rest, but it prevents
me from running some of the client programs.

I'm running everything on an old Dell Dimension XPS
(300Mhz Intel processor)
80 gig hard drive
192 megs RAM
Slackware 9.0

Thanks for any suggestions (and it's not a critical
application, but I do use it for voice mail from
friends.)

Stefan Johnson