[Asterisk-Users] IAX G729 Codec

Simon Woodhead woodheads at gonegardening.com
Fri Jul 11 04:40:32 MST 2003

>Our problem was that we all of a sudden would get dropped audio, and I
>had one user complain of extreme lag occasionally. I didn't have anyone
>else experience the lag, but the dropped audio would come and go. It
>sometimes would drop out for a second or so. Sound quality when there
>was still just perfect.

>For your link to the Pace Vega Stream, what codec are you using? I would
>assume it would be more of a problem in codec shifting bits or
>something, but then again this is a wild guess.

Thanks for that. We're using G.729 over H.323, incoming and outgoing.
Outgoing works perfectly but on incoming we get the underwater sound
periodically. It clicks in randomly but once there the only way to clear it
is to end the call and try again.

One thing we have thought of is co-loing an * box directly at the Telco and
plugging in to their switch directly. We'd then be in control of the VoIP
part and know that over IAX it would work fine. Can anyone enlighten me as
to how we'd connect to them physically on-site? Would it be a PRI or would
there be a different method as the PSTN wouldn't be between us and their
switch?