[Asterisk-Users] IAX G729 Codec

Simon Woodhead woodheads at gonegardening.com
Thu Jul 10 06:24:04 MST 2003

Hi Steven,

>BTW, my problems where on our private T1 line that sees round trips in
>the 4ms range. Our semi educated guess was that we had a problem with
>the jitter buffer causing echo cancel to go nutty when our ping times
>would occasionally jump to 20ms. When I turned off the jitter buffer,
>the call quality became so clear that people don't believe we are VoIP.

Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by going 'nutty'?

Long distance * to * G.729 over IAX works perfectly but we're also using
G.729 over H.323 to our telco's Pace Vega Stream. The ping is only 10-12ms,
occasionally jumping to 20ms. Latency is non-existent and the quality is
excellent but periodically, mid-way through a call it goes wrong with the
other party sounding literally like they are underwater. This only happens
on incoming calls though strangely.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Simon