[Asterisk-Users] PBX / Asterisk integration

Maik Schmitt asterisk-users at admininside.org
Wed Jul 9 06:55:37 MST 2003

> I regret that I don't know much about telephony as I'm a networking bod,
> but here goes...
>
> We are thinking about implementing a VoIP service so that staff and
> students can make VoIP calls from home or using our wireless LAN on
> campus.
>
> Clearly, we would like it to integrate with our PBX so VoIP users can
> talk to the PSTN as well.
>
> We don't actually control the University's PBX, so it is highly
> desirable that any changes to the PBX are very minimal!

Hi,

we're currently trying to do something like that here at Saarland
University. We will give each VoIP-User his own extension that will be routed
to Astersik over an E1 (We will use extensions like 69XXX for that). I
think this routing can be done easily in the PBX. We will also set up
a SIP Express Router and give an account to every student
here. Students will eventually also get their own extension that can
be reached from everywhere (something like 70XXXXX). The students will
be able to call every phone here on campus over the Asterisk-System
(including other students of course :) ).

This is mainly to prove that a simple cheap VoIP
system can handle that traffic.

In a second step we will try to replace the existing PBX with Asterisk
and SIP phones or channel banks. This will of course take some time. :)

Another goal of the project is to route calls to other universities
over IP if they support it.

You can find some information about our project on our Website (see
below).

--
Maik Schmitt        http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/VoIP