[Asterisk-Users] Switch issues with non-dedicated comms.. (My experience)

Tue Jul 8 01:12:27 MST 2003

> The problems I experienced is that when the link between the two
> servers is down the local server becomes highly unreliable..
>
> Firstly when dialing an outside line it attempts to search the
> remote (at this time unavailable) dialplan before it has
> processed all the local options, This causes a massive delay
> between the time the call is dialed and the time the call
> actually starts the connection.. I have tried qualify=yes in the
> iax.conf but this did not alter the call processing routine in
> any way or reduce the time it takes from the time the number is
> dailed to the time it finds the extention mapping it needs to use..

Perhaps something similar to the qualify for SIP clients could be
implemented with IAX and IAX2 connections, ie, if ping time is greater than
qualify time, then don't use it.

It would also help if periodically asterisk would collect the extensions
list for each switch statement included. This might cause minor problems if
your extensions change frequantly (perhaps rather than just a periodic check
include support to 'notify' remote servers when the local dialplan is
changed like the BIND DNS support for zone files).

I have only just started using IAX connections over a 64k ISDN link, and it
is bearable as long as there is no other traffic using the link at the same
time... I am yet to really play with it and make it work fantastically.

Regards,
Adam