[Asterisk-Users] Problems with TDM40P

Mon Jul 7 07:58:08 MST 2003

Without quite just saying me too, see below...

> I'm experiencing some problems with a TDM40P and was wondering if
> anyone else on this list has similar experiences, or maybe even
> a possible solution.

Similar experiences...

> My setup is a dual PIII-750 with 1 gig of RAM, with an X100P, connected
> to an analog line to my telco, and a TDM40P with analog phones

I have an AMD XP 1800 with 256MB RAM, and a single IDE HDD. I have a X100P,
a TDM40P and a ISDN BRI card using ISDN4Linux driver.

[root at asterisk root]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    1929531          XT-PIC  timer
  1:          2          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:   18895682          XT-PIC  eth0, wcfxo
 11:      23378          XT-PIC  HiSax
 12:   17057246          XT-PIC  wcfxs
 14:      45267          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:         13          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          2

> My problems with this setup are as follows:
>
> - I hear a soft fading hiss in the background on the TDM40P-connected
> phones.  It's also present when I call something like voicemail
> or a conference on my local box, so it doesn't seem to come from
> the X100P.  If I uncomment the "NO_CALIBRATION"-option in the Zaptel
> Makefile, the hiss decreases in volume, but is still audible.

I have the same problem, but it seems to only be on one phone. Originally I
had all 4 extensions passed across a single CAT5 cable, now I have 4
separate CAT5 cables with RJ45 connectors on them and it seems better, but
it is still there. I also get a funny 'ring' tone if I am in
voicemail/conference/phone call/whatever and another extension rings (sort
of like a crossed line perhaps, but it isn't the sound of the ring, perhaps
the actual ring voltage being applied/leaked to my line).

> - Some of my TDM40P-connected phones go dead frequently.  By "dead",
> I mean that the line-voltage goes away, so there's nothing there when
> they're picked up.  When this happens, the remedy is to call that
> extension and let it ring once, or restart Asterisk, after which the
> line-voltage re-appears.  I have this problem with several different
> phones and know at least 1 other person with similar problems.

I have the same problem, usually all 4 lines will go at the same time, but
while I was re-cabling (lots of pickup, listen for dialtone, hangup cycles
on each line to see if my cabling was working) and I got this a number of
times. ie, one or more extensions not working. My fix was a stop asterisk,
remove modules, insert modules, start asterisk.

I've also had a number of problems where all TDM400 extensions are dead but
the X100P and ISDN still work fine. When I stop asterisk, and remove the
modules, all is OK, but as soon as I insert the modules, the machine locks
up, and a power off/on is the only thing that works. I don't really know how
to track this one down, or how to diagnose it to better assist other people
to fix the problem....

> - Making data-calls from a line on the TDM40P, through the X100P, to
> an external number is almost impossible.  Even 2400bps is unreliable,

I've not tried data calls, but I think there is a d parameter to the Dial
application (see show application dial) which assists with data calls. Are
you using that?

Regards,
Adam