[Asterisk-Users] Accurate Billing

Matteo Brancaleoni mbrancaleoni at espia.it
Mon Jul 7 06:27:11 MST 2003

Hi.

First of all : please disable html. Not everyone is able
to read html email. Also mailing lists netiquette expects
that a members writes only in plain text.

Second one:
cdr -provides- accurate info on a call. every call, estabilished
or not, is logged, the is up to you to get what u need.
The 'billable' time is logged as cdr->billsec and is the
real duration of the call between the answer and hungup.
If you call a sip phone, for example, let it rings for
5 secs , then answer ad speak for 10 secs, you'll have:
cdr->duration : 15 secs
cdr->billsec  : 10 secs
so 5 secs is ringing time, call setup and so on...

That's valid on all digital interfaces (even i4l or capi),
since the answer/hangup/ringing and so on are signalled
with proper messages digitally.

Unfortunately, when using analog interfaces, that's not
true, since there's no easy way to decide that a call
has been answered, since our channel is 'answered' as soon as
we connect to the analog line. This is for fxo (phone lines),
for fxs (phones) we should have a 100% accurate signalling,
since on fxs we know when the user switched to off hook.

Mark has written a call progress detector for analog lines
(callprogress=yes in zapata.conf), but is entirely dsp-based,
experimental and US only ;)

Also dsp detection isn't 100% reliable.

So, if you're using digital lines (e1,t1,bri) you're set.
the cdr provides everything you need for billing.

If you're using analog lines, you're in trouble ;)
but a real provider that wants to 'provide' phone
services , should go in the digital world ;)

just my 2 cents

Matteo.

Scrive surajee at infotechs.lk:

> hi,
> r u saying that, if i use E100P or E400P interface, and if i make a call, can
> i differenciate between a answered and non answered call, and can i bill only
> to the answered call?
> Surajee
> On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 23:17, Kim C. Callis wrote:
> > Steve,
> >
> > What exactly would be classified as a digital ZAP device?
>
> T1/E1 interfaces, so T100P, E100P, T400P, E400P
>
> If you need to see examples, I could probably dig up CDR records where
> busy is indicated, and where no answer is indicated and there is a
> definate difference between call duration and stop-start duration.

Matteo Brancaleoni
Espia System Administrator
http://www.espia.it