[Asterisk-Users] Please help -- Syntax for dialing VoIP provider

Paul Cheng asterisk at klarium.com
Sun Jul 6 23:59:19 MST 2003

Hi,

To dial a PSTN number through Nikotel used to work from Asterisk, but
they had a very serious security issue (you could make calls anytime
anywhere and their billing wouldn't charge it) and after I informed
them of this, they changed their authentication mechanism and since
then I have not gotten it to work (they didn't even thank me!).

Their tech people said it should work with a slight change: "yes, we
changed it yesterday. Now the user part of the From: address has to be
the same as the username in the Proxy-Authentication line. I don't know
if the Asterisk can do that. The ATA186 does it b[y] default."

This CAN be done if you edit chan_sip.c, but when I did this, it billed
me a few times for unconnected calls and I gave up trying to debug and
switched to iConnect. iConnect is worse quality, but it is very easy to
connect to.

I had much better quality with calls via Nikotel than iConnect, but
their support is non-existent/bad at best. I sent them 3-4 e-mails
about their security issue before they even responded.

FYI. Registering with Nikotel was futile anyways, because I never
figured out how anyone could call into me. iConnect provides a PSTN-SIP
dial in as an option, but I haven't tried it. Outbound calls do not
require registering.

I can provide examples of iConnect connection scripts if you contact me
offline.