[Asterisk-Users] Digital phones

marrandy marrandy at chaossolutions.org
Sun Jul 6 12:52:26 MST 2003

On Sunday 06 July 2003 03:25 pm, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> > Surely though, even something as simple as "visual message waiting
indicator"
> > has a different code to activate it on a phone, depending on the
> > manufacturer.
>
> You just about answered your own question here, different codes for each
> manufacturer is not equal to standard. Asterisk has support for analog
> phones, and digital trunking via E1/T1 circuits. This allows you to
> interconnect to phone systems that might use digital phones. You can
> also use it via a channel bank to link large amounts of lines to
> asterisk.
> --
> Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>

Hello Steven.

That's what I thought.  But I don't know much about PBX/key phone systems, so
I thought I would ask.

O.K.- then.

Is there any support in the program to be able to specify a make/model of
phone system, and if that system has the codes available, translate the codes
for that system.

e.g.  if I found/obtained half a dozen business (digital) phones of one
manufacturer, one model, would they be usable ?   (I suspect not, but
anything is possible with time and effort).

Or is the proprietry PBX and phone systems, so totally alien to each other,
that is is impossible.

--
A fool-proof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of
marble; then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.