[Asterisk-Users] Migration to Asterisk - Running off of Merlin Legend system

Steve Creel screel at turbs.com
Thu Jul 3 13:11:00 MST 2003

We currently have a Merlin Legend system.  The voicemail is falling apart
(with the transition to a 10 digit timestamp on Sept. 8, 2001, the system
locked up and refused to take calls; the official solution is to change
the system time back to a year with a matching calendar).  We are in the
process of preparing the network infrastructure to support a VoIP system
with Asterisk, but won't be there for a few months.  We'd like to go ahead
and replace the voicemail system with Asterisk now, and as we're ready,
drop the Merlin system.

My questions:

Right now, the voicemail system (and auto-attendant) are connected to the
switch by 4 analog lines.  Logic says that these are FXS cards in the
switch, like any other extension.  The switch handles an incoming call and
transfers it to the auto-attendant.  How would such a call be identified
to be dropped in the appropriate context?

When the phone switch fails to reach someone at an extension, it transfers
them to the voicemail system.  How could these calls be identified as
different from an incoming call to the auto-attendant?  How is the
appropriate mailbox or extension identified?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Creel                                screel at turbs.com