[Asterisk-Users] A solution for SIP and NAT

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Wed Jul 2 06:29:12 MST 2003

Andrew Radke wrote:

> Ok I guess it's time for me to weigh in on this since I started the
> whole thing and am the main developer of SaRP.
>
> NAT and SIP _can_ work okay under very very restricted circumstance.
> Multiple SIP UAs behind one NATed IP _can_ work okay with a very
> intelligent router/firewall.

[deleted]

When Asterisk is running on the same device as NAT, does this make the
device an "intelligent router/firewall"?

In other words, is the SIP proxy in Asterisk smart enough to translate
IP address & tcp/udp ports as needed?  Will it also add/remove rules in
the fw (or provide a hook for an external function/script to do so?)

Thanks,
MikeC