[Asterisk-Users] A solution for SIP and NAT

Andrew Radke andrew at radke.iig.com.au
Wed Jul 2 03:22:45 MST 2003

Klaus Darilion wrote:
[snip]
>>The project can be found at http://sarp.sourceforge.net/
>

> There is also a similar project called siproxd:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/siproxd/
>
> regards,
> klaus

It has a broadly similar goal on the surface but a very very different
approach. siproxd relies on a large library. It tries to be completely
SIP compliant (you can't be compliant and handle NAT). It leaves
outgoing RTP traffic to go direct with inbound coming to it. It requires
ports to be forwarded to it/opened for incoming RTP traffic (SaRP
doesn't). It doesn't consider security. And lastly myself and a number
of other people just haven't seen it work.

There are a couple of us that now actually use SaRP to develop SaRP (the
old the compiler can compile itself test :-). It handles any sort of NAT
that can get the SIP port to it (5060 or whatever else you want). It
drops any packets that don't make sense and logs them; don't reply
unless you understand a packet or you are just giving away information
about your network or opening yourself up to an attack. And it's
cross-platform. There is no way you'll get siproxd to run on Windows for
example.

I'm not taking anything away from siproxd, I'm just stating why I don't
use it and why I don't know anyone who does.

Regards,

Andrew Radke