[Asterisk-Users] A solution for SIP and NAT

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Jul 1 17:16:06 MST 2003

No, it works fine.  SIP UA behind the NAT.  Asterisk outside the NAT.
"nat=1" set on the SIP peer.  Works fine.  Really.  It does.

I use Cisco equipment for my UA's.  The catch might be that the Cisco
devices are "more" clever than their counterparts, and will compare
the "Via:" header against their own known IP address and re-issue
their REGISTERs and INVITEs after they learn of their external
addresses.  However, I think Mark had this working with non-Cisco
devices as well by using "actual" port numbers instead of
SIP-reported port numbers, which breaks the RFC but makes for
functional SIP calls.

JT