[Asterisk-Users] A new pbx for an office in the UK

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Feb 26 14:37:09 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 15:13, Jim Gottlieb wrote:
> On 2003-02-26 at 14:38, Steven Critchfield  <critch at basesys.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll admit I have not been in a company where there was heavy phone
> > usage, but I've not seen anyone use more than a few keys outside of the
> > stock DTMF keypad. The only thing I know for sure that isn't emulated is
> > the intercom function.
>
> Some things I like to have on my desk phone, that can not easily be
> emulated with speed-dial buttons:
>
> · Busy lamps, so I can see who is on the phone before I decide to
>   disturb them

Do you think that scales well? 100 lamps is more of a hassle. Use
gastman if need be. I use gastman to monitor my system mainly.

> · Multiple virtual line appearances

Does this mean you want to be attached to multiple calls? Analog does
let you bounce between 2, but not the most gracefully especially if
there is 3 way calling.

> · Message waiting lamp

Supported already. My 2 cordless phones at home work just fine with
message waiting lamps.

> · Display that shows who is calling whom in my pickup group so I can
>   decide which calls to grab

again, this is more of a gastman function.

> · Quick single button access to conferencing, transfer, and party drop

This can be accomplished with a combo of buttons on the phone, or by
using gastman.

You demonstrate that you use more functionality than most people I know.
For you to have a copy of gastman augmenting an analog phone wouldn't be
to out of the ordinary. The inconvienence of the average user to be
scaled down to a standard analog phone would minimal. At my last job,
they would have jumped at pitching the digital phones for a analog that
they knew how to operate. Of course I wouldn't use them as much of a
example since they still prefer wp51 for dos.