[Asterisk-Users] Vonage

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 25 09:59:49 MST 2003

--- Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> On Monday 24 February 2003 22:39, Brian Johnson wrote:
> > Perhaps they should look at adding a self-contained FXS like
> > their usb one but with a 10/100 interface instead of usb to
> > their product line
>
> Wouldn't an Ethernet interface necessitate a UDP/IP stack?
> And DHCP?  And routing tables?  We're talking a self-contained
> computer, here.  A USB device (dependent on an operating
> computer) is much simpler than an independent device and needs
> far less care and feeding.

One example:  The Linksys broadband router.  This device
cotains a 10/100 switch, router, and built-in web server
for configuration.  I assume it has a computer inside to run
the router and HTTP server.  It sells for $100 retail.  Adding
a couple FXS interfaces should add no more then about $50.

Guess what?  The above pretty much describes an ATA186.

These Linksys routers are _very_ easy to deploy _because_
they have their own tcp/ip stack and internal computer.
Much easier for "Joe Consumer" to simply plug in the little box
then for him to install a second Ethernet card and set up a
PC as a firewall/router.

You can use cards in a PC running Asterisk but then you need
a big noisey power consumming PC box..  I thought about using
a PC as a broadband router too.  It would out perform the
Linksys router but then the Linksys box is small, wall
mountable and runs on something like half a Watt with no
fan noise.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com