[Asterisk-Users] codecs

William X Walsh william at wxw.org
Mon Feb 24 20:35:04 MST 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 17:18, Martin Pycko wrote:
> Actually now you can use SIP_CODEC variable
>
> eg:
>
> [sip-context]
> exten => 8500,1,SetVar,SIP_CODEC=alaw
> exten => 8500,2,VoiceMailMain
>
> now when you normally have
> dissallow=all
> allow=g729
> in sip.conf configuration file ... then when you place
> a call with your SIP phone to 8500 asterisk will
> force your phone to talk with alaw codec.
>
> regards
> Martin

Does this also control the codec asterisk is using to talk to the remote
device?

I believe the problem with calling FWD callers outbound from an asterisk
server is related to that, because I've eliminated everything else I can
think of.

Using the above line, it is working at forcing my sjphone to use alaw,
or ulaw as I configure.

I noticed when using SJPhone to register directly to FWD, and I call
another FWD caller is also uses one or the other.

So I'm wonder if it is possible that asterisk is using another codec
when trying to talk to the remote device.

When I use estera softphone with asterisk, and receive a call via fwd, I
get an error "the media negotiation failed" which seems to support my
theory.

--
William Walsh <william at wxw.org>
Jabber: william at wxw.biz