[Asterisk-Users] Accept DTMF during voicemail play?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Feb 23 13:16:40 MST 2003

On Sunday 23 February 2003 13:30, Brian Capouch wrote:
> denon wrote:> I'm not quite sure I follow you, but if I do,
> all you need to do is add
>
> > an extension in that context for VoiceMailMain.  Like so:
> >
> > exten => 100,1,VoicemailMain
> >
> > Then when you dial 100 from anywhere, you get the prompts ..
> > or you can pass your mailbox to it as an argument, and only
> > need to enter your password.
>
> I didn't express myself clearly, I'm afraid.  Here are more
> words, but they are more precise:
>
> Current config is that when a call comes in to one of my
> asterisk lines, I have asterisk immediately answer, and then
> begin to ring a phone.  If it doesn't pick up in 15 seconds,
> then the extension jumps to voicemail.
>
> All well and good, but: (crux of matter right here)
>
> If it's ME coming in, and not some arbitrary caller, I want to
> check my voicemail.  But I cannot interrupt the ringing tones
> that I hear while asterisk is dialing my phone (in order to
> get to voicemail) and once the rings time out, now I'm in
> VOICEMAIL "LEAVE" functionality, and it does not seem possible
> to interrupt the outgoing message in order to jar it into
> knowing, "It's me; dammit: let me RETRIEVE my voicemail
> instead of leaving a dang message."
>
> I think what I want is going to involve sensitizing asterisk
> to tones during the outbound message, but I don't know where
> such a thing would be enabled.
>
> I hope this is clearer.

Instead of jumping directly to the VoiceMail application, why
not run the Background application with your voice mail greeting,
then use just a short bit of silence for the actual greeting?
You could then interrupt the Background application with a new
extension (sending you to VoiceMailMain), without having to
modify the VoiceMail application at all.

-Tilghman