[Asterisk-Users] Fixed Line SMS with Asterisk

Thilo Salmon salmon at netzquadrat.de
Fri Feb 21 07:14:57 MST 2003

Abdullah,

> Ph 2- WITH FIXED LINE SMS SET
>
> In this phase there are some sets [from Ascom , Siemens , Viking] which
> enable the fixed line subscribers to type messages on the LCD screen and
> send them to fixed line or mobile phone subscriber . And also he/she can
> read the SMS which comes to this set for the LCD screen .

While sending messages from a handset into an asterisk box sounds
difficult but feasible (your users will have to change their phones'
configuration), don't expect to text just any sms enabled fixed phone.
As far as I remember the handsets accept incoming messages only from
selected message centers (the idea behind this behaviour is to suppress
ringing on incoming text messages). A message centers is identified by a
special CLI. Unless you know which CLI a phone is listening to and your
telco forwards unscreened CLI, your message will not be accepted.

Thilo