[Asterisk-Users] Motorola to use Linux

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Feb 19 22:11:37 MST 2003

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 05:46 PM, Brett Schwarz wrote:

> --- Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> One use for VoIP on a cell phone (or VoIP in
>> general) is that you can encrypt the data
>> going over the link making an end to end
>> secure voice link.  Usfull if you are a big
>> time drug dealer maybe?
>
> Actually, the digital radio (cdma, gsm) data
> interfaces are already encrypted. However, I am not
> sure how strong of encryption it is, and I think it
> only affects the radio network. So, you would have to
> check to see if the connection between the radio
> network and the internet is encrypted. For mobile to
> mobile calls that stay in the same radio network (i.e.
> if the asterisk machine was within the provider's
> private network), you would be ok I believe.

IIRC, the CDMA networks (such as Sprint PCS) use a
shift-register based encryption scheme (LFSR) which
has been shown to be considerably weaker than the
specified key width.  Don't count on this encryption
method to protect your conversation from anybody
but technically illiterate eavesdroppers.

-Tilghman