[Asterisk-Users] Motorola to use Linux

Brett Schwarz brett_schwarz at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 10:29:39 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 08:40, Steve Kann wrote:
> Just a couple of comments on this thread:
>
> 1) I'm not sure if it would be real useful to use a VoIP client on a
> 	"smart" cellphone.  With any plan I've seen, you're almost
> 	guaranteed to pay more per minute for the IP traffic as you do
> 	for voice traffic, _and_, you'll probably get better performance
> 	(sound quality, etc), with the native voice transport than using
> 	some VoIP system.

This is exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post. I think
you said it better though ;^)

> 2) That said,  see http://iaxclient.sourceforge.net/ for the beginnings
> 	of a project to create a cross-platform IAX protocol client
> 	stack, that should be portable to devices like this.  It might
> 	not be real useful for something that's _already_ a cellphone, but
> 	ported to a powerful PDA like a zaurus or an iPaq, it could be
> 	pretty cool.

Yes, using this, one could construct an app that would interface to
asterisk. However, in all probability, the asterisk machine would just
be sitting on the IP network somewhere (i.e. internet), and not
interface directly to the cell phone. Interfacing directly to the phone
via the cellular air interface would be a large and expensive task.
However, there are still some hurdles to cross even if the asterisk
machine is on the IP network.

However, one possible alternative would be to use Bluetooth to interface
the cell phone to asterisk directly. An example scenario might be when
you are out and about, the phone would use the cell network. However,
when you are at home, and can detect a Bluetooth server, then use the
home network (i.e. either POTS, or VoIP) via asterisk.

HTH,

    --brett

--
Brett Schwarz